Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Session #9: Flowers (and Clouds)





As I was getting undressed and into my fundoshi, Shinji said, “I think we do regular background.”
“Okay,” I said, surprised.
“Since we have to connect background here,” he said, pointing to my shoulders, “we should do regular background.”
My tattooed arms both end on the top of my shoulders with clouds; the right side from Horiyoshi, the left from Shinji. I guess that means the plain wind bars are no longer the plan.
“Is fine,” I said. “It’s just that you tell me what we are doing, and then I spend a month thinking about it, and next appointment it’s something different,” I said, mock-exasperated.
Shinji laughed. “Trust me,” he said, smiling.

Shinji applied stencils of two of the three flowers and then freehanded the rest. The session was similar to the last several: an hour of drawing, followed by two hours of tattooing.  As he was drawing, I was looking at the stencils he had tacked up to the wall, in preparation for other clients. There was a new one, a wonderful hero figure that looked like a cross between a samurai and a hula girl. I asked him about it after the session.

“That Tamatori Hime,” he said. I asked if it was a warrior, as I didn’t think there were many women warriors. “Not warrior,” he said, searching for how to describe her. “Diver,” he said, settling on that word. “She went into the ocean and stole a ball from dragon,” he explained, pronouncing “ball” like “bowl,” so much I wondered which he meant. “She stole a ball and cuts her chest, putting it inside. Very famous person—not real person though,” he said, not sure I understood it was a myth. I asked him to write down the name so I could Google it later. Wikipedia says:

“The fable of Tamatori-hime 玉取姫 ‘Princess Jewel Taker,’ which was a favorite ukiyo-e subject of Utagawa Kuniyoshi, is a variation of the Hoori and Toyatama-hime love story. Tamatori was supposedly an ama diver who married Fujiwara no Fuhito and recovered a precious jewel that the Sea God stole.
“The legend of Princess Tamatori (Tamatorihime), or Ama, developed around the historical figure Fujiwara no Kamatari (614-69), who was the founder of the powerful Fujiwara clan. Upon Kamatari’s death, the Tang dynasty emperor, who had received Kamatari’s beautiful daughter as a consort, sent three priceless treasures to Japan in order to comfort his grieving lover by honoring her father. One of the treasures, a pearl, was stolen by the dragon king during a storm on its way to Japan in the inlet of Fusazaki. Kamatari’s son Fujiwara no Fuhito (659-720) went in search of the pearl to the isolated area where he met and married a beautiful pearl diver named Ama, who bore him a son. Ama, full of love for their son, vowed to help recover the stolen pearl. After many failed attempts, Ama was finally successful when the dragon and grotesque creatures guarding it were lulled to sleep by music. Upon reclaiming the treasure, she came under pursuit by the awakened sea creatures. She cut open her breast to place the pearl inside for safekeeping the resulting flow of blood clouded the water and aided her escape. She died from the resulting wound but is revered for her selfless act of sacrifice for her husband Fuhito and their son. (Miller 2007:137)”
When we were first discussing ideas for my back, at my first visit,  Shinji asked if I wanted a human figure on my back, a mythological hero.
“No,” I said. Explaining that I wasn’t familiar with the myths, and that I didn’t feel right getting on tattooed on me.
“Good,” he said, obviously relieved. I got the impression he was glad to not have to talk and American out of appropriating a mythos he knew nothing about. “Is better, I think, something else.”
I wonder who is getting the Tamatori Hime piece. I didn’t ask.




No comments: